Nuclear Medicine Department
NUCLEAR MEDICINE DEPARTMENT
Head: prof. dr hab. n. med. Leszek Królicki
National Consultant in Nuclear Medicine
ul. Banacha 1 a, tel. 22-599-2270 fax. 22-599-1170
Building "E", ground floor
The Department of Nuclear Medicine is a research unit of the Medical University of Warsaw composed of two subunits localized in Public Central Teaching Hospital (SP CSK, Banacha str.) and Masovia Hospital (Kondratowicza str.).
Department in Public Central Teaching Hospital is equipped in 3 cameras - one PET/CT scanner, one SPECT scanner and planar gamma camera. Department in Masovia Hospital is equipped in MRI scanner and SPECT/CT scanner (MRI is a part of Nuclear Medicine Unit).
We utilize radioactive materials to diagnose of diseases and identify changes in organ function.
Patient therapy is a significant component of our activity. Treatment is offered for such conditions as neuroendocrine cancers, hyperthyroidism, inflammation of joints and bone pain palliation associated with metastases.
Our staff includes an expert team of board-certified nuclear medicine physicians, clinically experienced in range of specialties, including cardiology, neurology, internal medicine and radiology and certified technologists as well as highly trained nurses.
The Nuclear Medicine staff is active in the Polish Society of Nuclear Medicine, Polish Society of Cardiology, Polish Society of Endocrinology, the European Association of Nuclear Medicine, and European Neuroendocrine Tumor Society.
We are committed to education (teaching students and training residents) and participate in many research studies and projects.
We perform the following procedures and provide the following services:
- Scintigraphic examinations (diagnostic tests):
- brain perfusion scan (SPECT): epilepsy, tumors, stroke/blood vessel occlusion
- dopaminergic system examination: Parkinson’s disease, degeneration diseases of the brain
- myocardial perfusion scan (SPECT) and gated myocardial perfusion scan (GSPECT): ischemia, heart muscle viability, ejection fraction
- lung scans - perfusion and ventilation: pulmonary embolism, airway obstruction
- thyroid scan (131-I, 99m-Tc): hyperthyroidism, goiter or cancer, evaluation of whole body scan with use of 131-I
- parathyroid glands scan: hypercalcemia
- esophageal dysfunction study
- static liver and spleen scintigraphy
- cholescintigraphy - dynamic evaluation of liver and biliary ducts
- scintigraphic evaluation of bleeding in gastrointestinal tract
- dynamic renal studies: evaluation of the kidney function, captopril or furosemide test
- static and dynamic bone scan: metastases, primary bone cancers spread, degenerative diseases, inflammations, identifying causes of pain
- lymphoscintigraphy - evaluation of lymphatic system function
- scintigraphic evaluation of inflammatory foci (labeled granulocytes)
- scintigraphic evaluation of salivary glands
- scintigraphic evaluation of cancers.
- PET/CT in oncology, neurology, cardiology
- MRI: classical examinations of the central nervous system, cardiovascular system, musculoskeletal system, fMRI, MRS and others
- Radionuclide Therapy: neuroendocrine tumors (NET), thyroid therapy, joint inflammations, palliation of bone pain associated with metastases
- Special laboratory and diagnostic facilities: flow cytometry.
Main Publications 2008 - 2011
Repeated cycles of peptide receptor radionuclide therapy (PRRT) - Results and side-effects of the radioisotope (90)Y-DOTA TATE, (177)Lu-DOTA TATE or (90)Y/(177)Lu-DOTA TATE therapy in patients with disseminated NET. Pach D, Sowa-Staszczak A, Kunikowska J, Królicki L, Trofimiuk M, Stefańska A, Tomaszuk M, Głowa B, Mikołajczak R, Pawlak D, Jabrocka-Hybel A, Hubalewska-Dydejczyk AB. Radiother. Oncol. 2011, 30. Epub ahead of print
Emotionally negative stimuli can overcome attentional deficits in patients with visuo-spatial hemineglect. Grabowska A, Marchewka A, Seniów J, Polanowska K, Jednoróg K, Królicki L, Kossut M, Członkowska A. Neuropsychologia. 2011;49:3327-37.
Lithium carbonate pre-treatment in 131-I therapy of hyperthyroidism. Płazińska MT, Królicki L, Bąk M. Nucl Med Rev Cent East Eur. 2011;14:3-8.
Clinical results of radionuclide therapy of neuroendocrine tumours with 90Y-DOTATATE and tandem 90Y/177Lu-DOTATATE: which is a better therapy option? Kunikowska J, Królicki L, Hubalewska-Dydejczyk A, Mikołajczak R, Sowa-Staszczak A, Pawlak D. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2011;38:1788-97.
Assessment of inflow and washout of indocyanine green in the adult human brain by monitoring of diffuse reflectance at large source-detector separation. Liebert A, Sawosz P, Milej D, Kacprzak M, Weigl W, Botwicz M, Maczewska J, Fronczewska K, Mayzner-Zawadzka E, Królicki L, Maniewski R.J Biomed Opt. 2011. Epub ahead of print
99mTc-octreotide scintigraphy and somatostatin receptor subtype expression in juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibromas. Kukwa W, Andrysiak R, Kukwa A, Hubalewska-Dydejczyk A, Gronkiewicz Z, Wojtowicz P, Krolicki L, Wierzchowski W, Grochowski T, Czarnecka AM. Head Neck. 2011. Epub ahead of print
Correlation of mucosal involvement as evaluated by computed tomography and bone single proton emission tomography findings SPECT in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis. Tuszyńska A, Maczewska J, Gotlib T, Królicki L, Pacho R, Krzeski A. Otolaryngol Pol. 2010;64:83-7.
Cardiovascular magnetic resonance findings in a case of Danon disease. Piotrowska-Kownacka D, Kownacki L, Kuch M, Walczak E, Kosieradzka A, Fidziańska A, Królicki L. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson, 2009;11:12.
New forms of radionuclide therapy with (90)Y in oncology. Hubalewska-Dydejczyk A, Jurczak W, Sowa-Staszczak A, Kunikowska J, Królicki L, Gilis-Januszewska A, Giza A, Szurkowska M, Pach D, Głowa B, Mikołajczak R, Pawlak D, Stefańska A, Huszno B, Skotnicki AB. Nucl Med Rev Cent East Eur, 2008;11:5-11.
Parkinsonism and dystonia caused by the illicit use of ephedrone--a longitudinal study. Selikhova M, Fedoryshyn L, Matviyenko Y, Komnatska I, Kyrylchuk M, Królicki L, Friedman A, Taylor A, Jäger HR, Lees A, Sanotsky Y. Mov Disord, 2008;23:2224-31.
Predominant, severe right ventricular outflow tract obstruction in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Krecki R, Lipiec P, Piotrowska-Kownacka D, Chrzanowski L, Królicki L, Drozdz J, Krzemińska-Pakula M, Kasprzak JD. Circulation, 2007;116:551-3.
I Award of American Society of Nuclear Medicine (SNM). Young Investigator Award: "Clinical results of PRRT with 90Y-DOTATATE and 90Y/177Lu-DOTATATE - what is better for therapy?", 56th American Society of Nuclear Medicine (SNM) Annual Meeting, 06.2009, Toronto, Canada
II Award of Nuclear Oncology Council Young Investigator Award: "Clinical results of PRRT with 90Y-DOTATATE and 90Y/177Lu-DOTATATE - what is better for therapy?", 56th American Society of Nuclear Medicine (SNM) Annual Meeting, 06.2009, Toronto, Canada
EANM Eckert & Ziegler Abstract Award 2009 at European Association of Nuclear Medicine (EANM) Congress in Barcelona 10.2009: "Comparison between clinical results of PRRT with 90Y-DOTA TATE and 90Y/177Lu-DOTATATE"
Award for best presentation at 18th International IRSIST (International Research group in Immuno-Scintigraphy and Therapy) Congress, 06.2006, London, England
ed. by lek. K. Fronczewska-Wieniawska